Jon Ford Environmental is an independent environmental consultancy based in Whitstable, Kent and led by Jon Ford MSc MCIEEM.
With over 20 years experience as an environmental consultant and ecological surveyor, Jon established his company in 2003.
Jon Ford Environmental undertakes a variety of survey and assessment projects and is a well regarded specialist in onshore and offshore ornithology surveys particularly associated with the renewable energy industry.
Main services include:
- Seabird / marine mammal surveys / assessment for offshore wind farms, and government
advisory research agencies
- All ornithological aspects of Ecological Impact Assessment for onshore wind farms
- Breeding bird surveys, moorland bird surveys, over-wintering wader and wildfowl surveys,
vantage point surveys, species-specific surveys and assessments for other development
- Project management, public consultation, liaison with key stake-holders, desktop ecological
studies and flora/fauna surveys and assessment
- Ecological Clerk of Works
- Data analysis and data mapping
- Commercial fisheries assessment, seabed sampling, and underwater video
- Training in ESAS seabird and cetacean survey methods
- Professional Indemnity cover for £2,000,000
- Public Liability cover for £2,000,000
- Employers liability insurance for £10,000,000
- Breeding bird surveys on four potential residential building sites in the South-East.
- Seabed sampling North Sea gas fields using DVV and Hamon grabs and underwater video/still.
- Supply and lead team of bird surveyors for the turbine base-situated survey work for the Offshore Renewables Joint Industry Programme (ORJIP) using laser range-finding binoculars linked to radar and GPS.
- Project managing all the ornithological aspects of an offshore wind farm site near the east North Sea coast including quarterly and annual reports submitted to the MMO. Pre-construction, construction, and post-construction boat-based bird and marine mammal monitoring surveys.
- Field work and ornithological assessment for wind farm export cable routed through intertidal flats and saltmarsh.
- For past six years, responsible for ship-based bird surveying aspects on annual six week-long joint Norwegian/Russian full ecosystem survey of the Barents Sea and Norwegian sector Strategic Integrated Arctic Survey.
- Undertaking and managing all aspects of the boat-based survey work for bird and marine mammal monitoring on three offshore wind farm sites in the Greater Thames estuary.
- Contracted to develop the methodology and to undertake a bird monitoring programme for engineering works on 440 Kv overhead lines in Cheshire and North Wales followed by an extensive post-construction ornithological report.
- Ecological Clerk of Works on a large wind farm substation site undertaking and managing extensive winter wader and wildfowl surveys, water-vole surveys and other work as required. Production of annual reports.
- Initial ecological assessments and subsequent reports on six potential medium-sized wind farm sites in Northumberland to determine the viability of proceeding with planning and development. Led team to undertake extended Phase 1 habitat surveys, breeding bird surveys and vantage point raptor surveys. Produced technical report for the ecological chapter of scoping request.
- Jointly undertook moorland breeding bird surveys, ‘vantage point’ raptor surveys, and black grouse surveys on proposed hydro-electric projects and onshore wind farm sites in the Scottish Highlands.
- Jointly undertook breeding bird survey and other ecology-related work (such as mapping badger sets) on a gas pipeline on the Humber and in North Lincolnshire.
Jon Ford has over 20 year’s experience of undertaking and managing environmental surveys and producing the associated reports. He has an MSc in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and is a full member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM). He is a JNCC European Seabirds at Sea (ESAS) instructor.
All survey associates involved in the offshore bird and marine mammal work have extensive experience, are accredited with the JNCC ‘European Seabirds at Sea’ ESAS course and the JNCC ‘Marine Mammal Observers on Seismic Vessels’ course, and have full health and safety certification.
Close ties with owners and experienced masters of suitable survey vessels with purpose-made observation decks have been maintained over many years, particularly with Predator Charters Marine Limited and the Jubilee Fishing Co.
Long term working collaborations have been formed with a number of respected experts in their field such as Dr. Steve Percival of Ecology Consulting and Dr Simon Lawrence of Lawrence Environmental Consultants.
A cohesive core team of highly skilled and very experienced bird surveyors has been employed for many years both onshore and offshore. Relations with associates with expertise in other disciplines successfully employed in the past have been maintained over the years.
Through working with Jon Ford Environmental you will have access to some of the most highly respected ecologist specialists in the industry.
NINA (Norwegian Institute for Nature Research)
Lawrence Environmental Consultancy
Jon Ford Environmental Limited is registered in England and Wales - Company No: 5847020.
Registered Address: 13 Highpoint Business Village, Henwood, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8DH
Copyright © 2019 Jon Ford Environmental - All Rights Reserved.